Jobseeker Induction Guide
We specialise in helping young jobseekers, but much of our support applies to jobseekers of any age. Here's some of our key messaging for jobseekers:
- CV assistance: We'll help you create a standout CV.
- Driver's license: If you need a driver's license, we can assist you in getting one.
- Work-ready gear: We provide necessary work gear, including tools, if required.
- Counselling: We offer a confidential counselling service for free.
- Comprehensive support: From becoming work-ready to training, obtaining certificates, addressing personal needs, arranging transport, and more – we're here to help with whatever you need.
What sets us apart:
- Extensive business network: We're connected to a vast network of businesses, which allows us to find the right fit for you.
- Non-judgmental: We don't judge your past; we're focused on helping you build a brighter future.
- Community-centered: We're deeply rooted in our local community, and we genuinely care about your job satisfaction and success.
Meet and greet
It's crucial that we meet job-seekers in person rather than just speaking on the phone. We keep it casual, provide information about our services, and ask questions to start a dialogue. Here are some questions we might ask:
- Why did you reach out to us?
- What did you enjoy doing in school or outside of it?
- Do you feel prepared for a job after school?
- Do you know someone with a job you admire?
- What skills do you think employers value the most?
Make their situation normal
We understand that:
- Writing CVs is challenging, and many people struggle with them.
- Career paths can be different – some choose one job for life, while others explore various options.
- Not everyone pursues higher education, but it doesn't limit your job prospects.
- Overcoming drug use can be tough but can open up more job opportunities.
- Education isn't the only path to success.
Things they need to know
- We check if you have a phone and help you get one if needed.
- Ensuring your phone has credit for calls is important, so we'll check your plan.
- We help set up a work-appropriate email address.
- If you need internet access at home, we encourage signing up for low-cost prepaid broadband.
- If you don't have a computer at home, we provide access at our hub or community space.
- We discuss any criminal convictions and help you understand what to declare when seeking employment.
- For those using drugs, we offer support and can even perform drug tests to help you get drug-free.
- If you have alcohol dependence, we provide referrals and support.
- Identifying a supportive person in your life can make a big difference.
- We guide you in creating an effective CV.
- If you need a driver's license, we'll enroll you in a programme.
- For those requiring a road-worthy vehicle, we assist in obtaining one.
- We match your literacy and numeracy levels with suitable job roles.
- If you have a learning disability, we ensure you're placed where you receive adequate support.
- For people who struggle with communication, we offer ITS Workplace Communication Courses.
- We ensure you're managing any medications effectively and provide support if needed.
- We consider physical impairments when placing you in roles.
- If you face anxiety or other mental health challenges, we provide referrals.
- We assist in acquiring interview clothing and building a work-ready wardrobe.
- We offer budgeting support to help manage your finances effectively.
- If you're an MSD client, we check if you're accessing your transition-to-work grant once employed.
- We'll discuss the advantages of MSD support if they are interested.
In this role, we sometimes need to address difficult topics. Here's how we approach these conversations:
- Drug use: We address substance use and its impact on employment opportunities, offering support.
- Unreliable: We discuss punctuality and the importance of being dependable.
- Mental health: We acknowledge the challenges of maintaining employment while facing mental health issues and offer confidential counselling services.
- Appearance and body odour: We address personal hygiene concerns tactfully and offer solutions.
- Home situation: We recognise family responsibilities and explore alternative solutions.
- Budgeting: We help create a simple budget to manage finances effectively.
- Justice: We discuss the importance of honesty regarding criminal convictions when seeking employment.
Having these conversations helps us understand how to provide the best support.